Gmail is out of space is an issue that comes when you don’t delete the unnecessary files from your Google accounts. As a result, there will be no space left in your Gmail. As you know that every Google Account provides 15 GB of free Gmail storage space? This free space is shared across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. Do you know what happens to emails when Gmail is full? When this free space fills up users get stuck with the out-of-space error “Gmail Quota Exceeded”. You can resolve this problem by effectively managing the storage of Google Account. Therefore, let us proceed towards the solution to see- how to manage space and fix the Gmail issue.
Items That Lead To Gmail Storage Space
- Google Drive(PDFs, Images, and Videos).
- Trash items.
- Although from June 1, 2021, Google documents, sheets, slides, drawings, and forms are also counted in storage space.
- Gmail attachments and messages.
- Original and high-quality videos and images after June 1, 2021 count in Gmail storage space.
Items That Don’t Lead To Gmail Storage Space
- Shared with me files.
- Express Quality Photos and videos that are backed up before June 1, 2021.
- Google sites.
What happens when Gmail is Out of Space?
- If your Gmail storage space is full, then you are unable to send or receive emails.
- Can’t backup any photos or videos.
- However, from June 1, 2021, if you are not using your Gmail account for 2 years or more. Then all your emails get deleted.
Steps to fix Gmail is Out of Space Issue
Solution 1: Analyze the Storage
If you want to see what is taking so much storage? Then you have to analyze the storage space taken by Gmail, Google Photos, and other Google applications. Firstly, sign in to your Google account. And then go to Google Drive Storage to see Gmail storage space details. Click on “View details”. By doing this, you will be able to see the total storage. And also you can see the used storage of your Gmail account.
Solution 2: Disable Auto Sync
If you use Gmail in the mobile app, then there is a high chance of auto-syncing into your Gmail account. This means that data is automatically backed up on Google Account Storage. Which means it hogs up extra storage. Changing account settings in your android or iOS Smartphone can disable the auto-sync feature which can free up space in Gmail for storing data.
Solution 3: Get rid of Unnecessary Emails, Files and Attachments
The easiest way to resolve the Gmail out of space issue is by deleting unnecessary emails, photos, and attachments that are no longer important. Older Social and Promotional emails are automatically sorted in the social and promotional folder in the Gmail account, you can delete them in multiple ways with one click. And this will free up space in Gmail quickly. Making use of search operators can also help in managing the storage of a Gmail Account. Using search operators such as “Older_than:2y” will quickly bring emails that are older than 2 yrs so you can remove them easily and quickly.
Lastly, removing all the files from the trash folder will permanently delete the unnecessary files and will resolve the Gmail out of space issue.
Solution 4: Use Gmail to Gmail Migration Option
Yes with Gmail users also get one option to save their emails which is- Gmail Migration. If all your Gmail messages are important. And you don’t want to lose any of them, then you can migrate them to another account. You don’t need to pay any penny for this even. This option is for free. First, you have to make a new Gmail account. And then transfer all your emails from one Gmail to another Gmail account. Follow the below steps to learn how:-
- Create a New Gmail Account.
- Now go to the settings of the old Gmail Account from which you want to migrate emails.
- Click on the ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ from the upper menu and enable POP for all mails.
- Next, select “delete Gmail’s copy” from the drop-down menu.
- Now open the new Gmail account and go to Settings.
- Select ‘Account and import’ and choose ‘Import mail and contacts on the menu.
- A pop-up window will appear on your screen.
- There you need to enter the email from which you want to import the email files, and click Continue.
- Thereafter, another window will open and ask your permission. Click ‘Allow’ and then select the import options and click the “Start Import” button.
- Wait until Google transfers all the emails to your new account. Once, the transferring of email is done then you will be able to see all your emails in the new account.
Note There an issue with this method, that is it can take evens a few days or one week to transfer all your mails.
Solution 5: Kernel IMAP to Office 365
If you want to avoid the hassle of Gmail problems, such as this- migrating emails. Then Kernel IMAP to Office 365/ Exchange Server is an alternative for you. This is IMAP Office 365 migration tool that can help you in migrating your emails from your Gmail to your existing Office 365 account. The method offers good features to users, and some are mentioned below:
- Migration of single/ multiple mailboxes from the IMAP email server.
- You get multiple filtering options according to the requirement of migration.
- It is compatible with all IMAP email servers.
- Provision to migrate to mailboxes, archive mailboxes, and public folders.
Solution 6: Using ‘Google One’ to increase storage space
Are you also thinking about how to increase Gmail storage space free?. Then Google One is the appropriate choice. As it is a subscription-based service developed by Google which provides expanded cloud storage to consumers. Users can buy up to 2TB of storage that is shared across Google Drive, Gmail, Photos. For which they can pay off monthly or annually. However, It also provides additional benefits such as customer support, sharing of storage with other Gmail accounts.
Solution 7: Changing the Upload Quality of Photos
Gmail is not the only culprit when it comes to filling up unnecessary storage. Google Drive and Google Photos can take plenty of storage if you upload files in native format. Google Photos provides us with the option to save photos in high-quality format and original format. The high-quality format means that images will take less space while maintaining the quality of photos whereas photos with original format might have better quality but they will take much more space.
To solve this Gmail issue- ‘Gmail is out of space” there are so many ways. You can use any alternative method or choose from the above list of solutions. Managing space and Gmail emails from the beginning won’t let you face such an issue. However, if you stuck in this, then don’t worry just simply delete the unnecessary items. Although if you need any assistance, them contact our Gmail Support team.