It is quite an issue when the Outlook data file cannot be accessed. If you use Outlook on a regular basis then you might be familiar with this problem. When the Outlook data file error occurs, the system prompts ‘sending reported error (0x8004010f): ‘Outlook data file cannot be accessed.’ In order to fix any problem, it is important to know the reason behind it. Knowing it will make it easier for you to fix the problem which is why we will be discussing them first.
Reasons behind 0x8004010f Outlook data file cannot be accessed
There are a number of reasons that can contribute to the damage of an OST or PST file. It includes corruption because of an oversize, damage due to accidental or a force shutdown, to name a few. 0x8004010f Outlook data file cannot be accessed issue can also come up because of some human error. Apart from that, this is a MAPI error that happens at the time of synchronizing an offline address book (OAB), during email send/receive operation, or while downloading the OAB files. Following are the main reasons behind Outlook error 0x8004010F:
- Corrupt OST file
- Variations in the location of the OST file on the machine
- Copying of old OST file with previous Outlook version after upgrading
- The main account is not set with the principal account OST file
- Firewall settings
- Improper configuration or corrupt Outlook profile
- Unstable network connection
- Sending/receiving emails through a Shared Mailbox
- Broken Outlook program files
- Inadequate read/write permissions
- Firstly, you will get an Outlook data file cannot be opened.
- The Outlook data file cannot be found
- An Outlook data file cannot be configured.
Methods to fix Outlook data file cannot be accessed
Now that we know the reasons behind the Outlook 2016 data file cannot be accessed, we can easily fix it as well. You can try to restart Outlook or change the Outlook delivery location amongst other ways to fix it. We will be discussing the following ways in detail to get rid of the 0x8004010f Outlook data file cannot be accessed error:
- Restart Outlook
- Change the delivery location
- Use a new Outlook profile
- Get ownership of the Outlook data file
- Fix an old Outlook profile
At times, all you need to do is close Outlook and start it again to fix the problems with systems and programs. Therefore, if you are facing an Outlook data file cannot be accessed 2010 issue then you can restart Outlook and check again. If this doesn’t solve the issue then you can try out other ways.
Change the delivery location
Another way to fix the 0x8004010f Outlook data file cannot be accessed issue is by changing the delivery location. You can follow these steps to change the location:
- First, click on the Start button and open the control panel.
- Go to ‘Mail’, open the mail settings and choose ‘Show profiles’.
- Choose the existing profile and click on ‘Properties’ then on ‘Data file’
- Write the name and location of the data file for the profile that is going to be used as the default
- Put a mark on it and close it
Use a new Outlook profile
You can create a new profile either automatically or manually. Use these steps to create and use a new Outlook profile automatically:
- Enter the mail settings and click on ‘Show profiles’
- Choose the ‘Add button’ from the general tab
- Ensure to check the Always use this profile
- Fill in the empty fields in the ‘Add new account’ tab
- Once you click on OK, you will see a new window with a mail address
- In the end, click on OK and then on ‘Done’
If you wish to create a new profile manually then you can follow these steps:
- Open the control panel and go to ‘Mail Setup’
- Left-click to see the profiles and choose the existing profile
- Then click on ‘Add’ and enter a new name for the profile
- Click on ‘Ok’ once you are done and you will come across a new window
- You will come across a new window where you can click on Add a new account
- Tap on the option that says ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types and hit ‘Next’
- Click on ‘Choose service’ in the new window and enter the email address
- Enter your account information and click on ‘Test account settings’ under the ‘Internet email settings’ tab
- It will assist you to verify the account
- Hit the Existing Outlook data file >> Browse. And then click on ‘Open Outlook data file’
- Finally, you will see a list of data files that were found earlier. Click on ‘Ok’ and then on ‘Finish’
This will help you to get rid of the Outlook data file cannot be accessed error.
Get ownership of the Outlook data file
The issues are quite common because of the incorrect file permissions on Windows. If this is the case then 0x8004010f Outlook data file cannot be accessed error can be a result of the incorrect data file ownership permission setting.
You can fix the Outlook data file cannot be found with the help of these steps:
- Launch the File Explorer and go to your Outlook data file’s directory
- Right-click on your Outlook data file and choose Properties
- Click on the Security tab and then choose the option that says ‘Advanced’
- Click on ‘Change’ to change the owner of your selected file
- Go to the ‘Enter the object name to select’ tab, type your computer username, and click on ‘Check Names’ and click on ‘OK’
- Make sure that the Access column says ‘Full control’ right next to your username and hit ‘Ok’
Fix an old Outlook profile
You can change the message delivery location to a temporary folder. And then change it back to refresh the Outlook.com email settings. This may fix the error so if you don’t want to create a new Outlook profile for fixing Outlook error 0x8004010F. However, you can follow these steps for Outlook data file cannot be accessed 2010 IMAP. And can easily fix the OST file error.
- Go to File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings. And then choose the option to ‘Change Folder’
- Click on ‘New Outlook Data File’ to create a temporary data file
- Fill in a name for this new Outlook data file and then click OK
- Expand the subfolders and select the Inbox folder
- Hit the OK button to close the dialog box
- Click on the Change Folder button again
- Choose your Original Inbox folder data file by expanding the subfolder click on ‘OK’
- Hit on the Data Files tab and eliminate the temporary OST file that you created before
- Close the Account Settings dialog box and then click on ‘Send/Receive’ to see if the error 0x8004010F has been resolved or not
Read Also- How to fix Outlook disconnected issue?
One of these above-mentioned steps will surely help you to fix the Outlook data file cannot be accessed error. If there is anything else that you would like to know then you can connect with the Outlook Support experts.