Outlook’s search function is very essential to folks who receive and answer a bunch of e-mails on a regular basis. The key benefit is that you do not take so much tension to search via all folders, but instead can easily view an easy-to-use filtered segment of relevant messages by simply filling and entering a search term. This makes it very much simpler for both private as well as business users to communicate quickly and to structure their messages smoothly and clearly. But what if the Outlook search not working or suddenly stops functioning? What issues might occur when there are no particular matches found? How can they be fixed? Don’t panic! In this blog post, we will tackle the Outlook search not finding all emails issue instantly. So, continue reading!
What Are Its Symptoms?
If your Outlook search not working 2021, there might be so many diverse causes for it. What might cause one user to no longer be capable to see search results properly, might cause another user to just see semi-accessible e-mails in their search.
Common problems with the search function comprise:
- The user does not get any search results.
- The search is invalid entirely.
- The program merely shows e-mails for a particular time.
- Outlook search not showing all results.
- However, Outlook search not working after rebuilding index.
Why Is My Outlook Search Not Working?
In Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac, you might get a “No Results” message when you attempt to look for an email message. Or try to apply a filter to a folder, and task items are not presented in the Tasks folder. In addition, when you look for mail items just by using the Mac OS native Spotlight Search then your search might be failed. There may be several factors due to which Outlook search not working after update. They are as follows:
- Spotlight Search indexing might be half-finished.
- The Profile name encompasses special characters such as #, /, $, %, etc.
- Either the Profile or one of its parent folders could be added to the Privacy tab in Spotlight.
- The Outlook 15 Profiles folder might not get positioned properly under ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook.
- The Spotlight Search index corrodes.
How To Fix Outlook search not working On Windows 10?
If Outlook search not working 2020 then don’t worry because we are here to help you. You just follow these below-mentioned steps to fix the Outlook search not working Windows 10 issue.
Solution 1 – Start A Swift Fix
- Go to the Access Control Panel then click on the Search Icon (the one positioned near the Windows Start key) and then type Control Panel.
- Now, from Control Panel go to Programs and then hit on Programs and Features.
- Choose your Office client and from the extremely top segment of that page select Change.
- Next, select Quick Repair and wait a little bit whereas this procedure is running.
- Lastly, try to use the Outlook search when that’s completed.
Solution 2 – Modify Sleep Time
If you have a big bunch of e-mails saved on your Outlook then you must consider giving the appropriate sum of time needed for the re-index operation. The re-index procedure will be started when archiving is executed and if the sleep time will identify your computer/laptop to enter sleep mode then the index operation will be automatically stopped. Therefore, to accomplish these lines, set the sleep time to a least five-six hours before archiving your e-mails. Also, you could go back to your former settings afterward.
Solution 3 – Ensure That The Mailbox Is Indexed Appropriately
- Firstly, run Outlook and then click on the File.
- After that, go to the Options and then choose Search from the left panel of the chief window.
- From there, quickly look to the right and select Indexing Options.
- Choose Modify and then access the Indexed Location window.
- Next, from here you can select to index MS Outlook entirely.
- That must do the trick.
Solution 4 – Restore The MS Outlook Search Index
- Firstly, run Outlook and then click on the File menu again.
- Now go towards Options and choose Search.
- After that, go to the Indexing Options – > Advanced.
- Lastly, move to the Index Settings tab, and from the Troubleshooting, segment click on the Rebuild option.
Solution 5 – Make A Fresh Windows Profile
If the issue is still there you must try to create a fresh Windows account:
- Firstly, press the Win+I hotkeys and then click on the Account entry.
- From there choose Other people and hit on Add someone else to this PC.
- After that, from the bottom of the subsequent window select “I don’t have this person’s sign-in info” and also choose “Add a user without a Microsoft account”.
- Now, it’s time to create a fresh user name & a password and finish this procedure.
- Please note that you must give administrator rights to the recently created account.
Solution 6 – Update Your Microsoft Office Programs
Last year in 2020, Microsoft out an update that objectives to address the Outlook 365 search not working and Outlook 2016 search not working problems. So, before attempting other troubleshooting ways, update Outlook client immediately: Go to File, access Office Account, check Update Options, and then pick Update now. Also, after putting on all the accessible updates, rebuild index settings by succeeding:
- Firstly, close the Outlook program.
- Then launch Control Panel.
- Now use the Control Panel search field and put Indexing.
- Select Indexing Options and then click on the Advanced button.
- The Advanced Options window will be shown. After that, move to the Index Settings tab and then click Rebuild (within Troubleshooting).
Solution 7 – Resolve OST/PST Corruption Problems
- The Outlook client is presenting a built-in scan program that can robotically repair OST/PST corruptions.
- Consequently, all you require to do is run the scanpst.exe executable file.
- You can look for this program just by using the default Windows search box. And you could place the file under C: Program Files Microsoft Office. This is how you can resolve the OST/PST files.
Solution 8 – Repair Office
Lastly, if none of the above-mentioned steps facilitated you address the issue at hand, we may recommend repairing or entirely reinstalling the MS Office suite. Also, you can easily repair individual applications in the suite that comes in handy in this particular situation. After the reparation process, things must be sorted out and you must be capable to look for items without any difficulties.
Follow these simple and quick steps to repair Outlook from Control Panel:
- Firstly, go to the Windows Search bar and then type Control and open Control Panel.
- Now select Uninstall a program.
- Next, do a Right-click on MS Office and select Change.
- After that, click repair and strictly follow the prompts till Outlook is reloaded.
How Do I Enable Search In Outlook MAC?
If Outlook search not working on MAC then don’t worry because we are here to help you. You just follow these below-stated simple steps to fix this issue instantly:
- Run the Outlook Search Repair utility.
- If you freshly created a new Outlook Profile in the Mac, added a fresh account, or if you just imported new information from a source such as a PST or OLM file, Spotlight indexing might not be finish. In this case, Outlook for Mac shows a “No Results” message. To fix this problem, wait for indexing to fully complete, and then search again.
- Always ensure that your Profile name in Outlook has no special characters like #, /, $, %, etc.
To view your Profile or Identity name:
- First, you need to click on the Go, Applications.
- Right-Click Microsoft Outlook, and choose Show Package Contents.
- Expand Contents then Shared Support and then open Outlook Profile Manager.
If the Profile or Identity name encompasses a special character, follow these basic steps to change the name:
- Open the Outlook Profile folder positioned at: /Users/<Username>/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/.
- Give name again the Outlook 2016 for Mac Profile folder name and eliminate the special characters with ease.
If the issue is still unresolved, the Spotlight index may be tainted. To reindex the Spotlight index, follow these simple steps:
- Restart the Mac system, so that it can easily restart the Spotlight services.
- Try to navigate to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- Then type mdimport -L.
- In the Terminal, try to reindex your Outlook database just by using the subsequent command and replacing your own user’s name for the <user_name> placeholder: mdimport -g “/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Outlook Spotlight Importer.mdimporter” -d1 “/Users/<user_name>/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/<my_profile_name>”.
- Reindexing can take a little extra time to finish. After the procedure is finished, exit and then restart Outlook.
Read Also- Quick Fixes For Outlook Calendar Not Syncing
You might face Outlook search not working or Outlook search not finding all emails problems due to half-finished Outlook indexing or corrupt PST file. This blog post facilitates you to comprehend several Outlook search problems and details various troubleshooting ways to resolve these issues. However, in case if it doesn’t resolve then please contact Outlook Technical support team immediately.